Flowers are without a doubt one of the most wonderful things in the world. They are also used to express various kinds of emotions that words can never do. They are Nature’s very own treasures that one can enjoy freely. There are a lot of reasons why you would have flowers and this could be from a variety of occasions. Like weddings, funerals, anniversaries and even birthdays. What most people would like to do, usually, is to preserve these flowers. Preserve them as mementos in order to remember the day or their loved ones.
This is often common in funeral flowers. A lot of people have different processes of moving on and some would want something solid to remember the deceased by and it would usually end in trying to preserve the flowers from the funeral. There are many ways to preserve flowers, especially when their stems are cut. If you want to keep something or flowers from the funeral of a loved one, here are some ways you may do so:
- Wax dipped flowers – This is actually one of the hardest ways to preserve a flower compared to the others. This is because you actually need how to do it properly. You just need to buy a certain kind of wax and dip the flowers in them, slowly. If you want to see how it’s done, you can search it up on YouTube to know the correct way.
- Picture Frame – This is an easy way to preserve flowers and you can do it as a fun activity with your family or children. It is so simple and easy to do. You only need the petals for this and create a picture to remember your loved ones. You can spell out the name of the deceased or even create a heart or anything that reminds you of someone. This is the time to let your creativity flow and have fun creating something that would last a long time.
- Use Borax – You can also use borax to use and preserve flowers. This is especially helpful if you want to preserve a whole bouquet. It is a lot cheaper and a lot easier to do than wax. You can also find a tutorial or Youtube video of this on the internet.
- Turn it into Jewelry – There is actually a company that does this. All you have to do is give them the flowers and they can turn it into Jewelry for you. You can choose from their wide selection of styles and types of jewelry.
- Bookmark – another fun DIY you can do with your family is making bookmarks out of it. Flat flowers are the perfect choice to do this. Use different kinds of flowers and wax paper to do this.
There are many other ways to preserve flowers but the above mentioned are the most fun and creative ways. If you just want to preserve flowers as decorations among other things there are different ways as well, you can even ask a florist for some tips. Here are some of them:
- You can put them in the fridge. This is a good and well-known way to preserve flowers. You just have to put them inside the fridge overnight so that they would last longer. After that, you should place them in a vase to keep them from wilting.
- Put them in the Microwave. This is actually one of the common ways to preserve flowers. It is a process wherein you would dry them up so they would not wilt anymore. This way makes them dry faster and actually preserves some of its colors and vibrancy.
- Silica Gel – This is also another way to preserve flowers and keep them vibrant and fresh. You can easily buy Silica Gel in malls. Bury them in a container of Silica Gel for about a week or two.
- Pressing – This could be done for journaling or bookmarking. You place flowers inside a thick and heavy book, between pages, and close it. You just flatten them out and let them dry before framing them. This method is easy and an encyclopedia is a good option for this. You should place wax paper or parchment paper between the pages to avoid staining your book.
- You can also place them in direct sunlight. This is a natural way to dry flowers and preserve them as they are. This is cheaper than the microwave method but it would still have more or less the same results.
You can even get creative and use the flowers at the funeral for something else. A project you want to do or something that is impromptu. Get creative and make sure it is something that would remind you of the one who has passed away. You can make a collage out of it, place them in photo albums as decorations. You can even use dried petal leaves for scrapbooking. You can never go wrong with being creative when it comes to flowers as they are natural art that is born out of nature. All you have to do is a little bit of work. The flowers in funerals are sometimes not the most colorful ones but they are beautiful and within them, they hold a lot of memories and feelings for the deceased. Something that you should always treasure and respect. Make sure you express the same sentiments in the way you preserve them.