To add a more personalized touch to your funeral flowers, you can try to make your own funeral flower sprays. This not only shows respect but it also shows your heartfelt condolences. You might think that it a hard and difficult task, but arranging flowers is actually not as hard as everyone perceives. Yes, you would need to know the basics and actually have to learn it in a workshop, but the most important thing is that you have the need or want to do it. Hard work can actually beat talent, especially if you really put your heart into it.
The thing about funeral flower sprays is that it can come in many different sizes. They can also be simple or grand and elaborate. There are many styles to choose from as well. It could be free-standing wherein you place them on a flower stand or an easel and there are also sprays that can be hanged or laid on the casket. The first thing you need to do is to decide which one you make. You should also already visualize it to know the colors and kinds of flowers you want it to have. You should have everything you need right within your reach.
Steps to Follow
- When you have everything you need, you should make sure that your workspace is easy to work in and arranged as neat as possible so you will not have a hard time finding what you need as you arrange and make your floral spray.
- The floral foam should be cut if it is not in the shape that you want it to be in or if it’s in a shape that does not fit the form of your spray. Do not overdo it, of course. Make sure that this floral foam is already soaked in flower-food and water. The flowers will thank you for it.
- The next thing you should do is place your floral foam in the container of your spray. That is why you should make sure not to over cut it as you want it to be fitting in the container and not loose. Waterproof tape is needed during this to secure the flower foam. Place the tape in the bottom and sides of the container for much-needed security.
- You can use wire mesh or floral tape over the floral foam. This would definitely help hold and secure the foam in the container.
- Use moss to cover the tape or wire to make sure your spray would look beautiful and neat. You would not want wires or floral tape sticking out of the sprays because it would probably ruin the whole look of your spray.
- The next part is to create a flower arrangement. You should place greenery first as the decorative base of the flowers. You can also use greenery and small flowers to fill in the bald spots once you are done placing the flowers you need. You should place the flowers firmly to avoid breaking the stems.
- You should continue doing the step before until you are satisfied with the design and arrangement you have made.
- After having the arrangement you want, its time for you to add personal embellishment, although it is not required. You can place a ribbon or a photo of the deceased.
There are many types of sprays that you can do with the steps above as the only difference would be how you would display them. Of course, you need to keep in mind that preparing the stuff you need is the first step. Here is some stuff that you would definitely need when arranging or making your own funeral flower spray:
- Flowers – of course, it would be good if you get to know the types of flowers that are appropriate for a funeral.
- Pruning clippers
- Floral Tape
- Wire Mesh
- Greenery – to cover and decorate your flower arrangement.
- Spray adhesive
- Wire Cutters
- Flora Foam
- Waterproof Tape
- Spray form or container – this could be an easel, casket spray holder, hanging spray holder.
- Water and Flower Food Mix
- Personal embellishment – it’s not really required.
You can always ask someone you know who is in the florist business if you still have questions regarding this. What you should always keep in mind is that the thought itself, that you want to make one your own, is enough. It takes hard work and effort to make something as personal for a funeral. This would especially be more appreciated by the family of the deceased. You should not overthink how you should make one because anything that is done with effort is going to be appreciated.
Just keep in mind that you should definitely learn about the language of flowers. This is because flowers have and represent different things. You do not want any misunderstandings with regard to the personal spray you have made. Some flowers are used to express joy and not sympathy and you would not want to send a message that can easily be misconstrued to mean something rather rude. You can easily learn about the language of flowers from the internet or a book in the library. You can even ask the funeral parlor or a florist about it as they would know.